A Travellerspoint blog

Stranded in Sydney (II)

With an extra few days in Australia on the cards, my $1.40 was fast running out. My cash reserves were now under a dollar, giving me a total of $2.20. This was not a problem. I could simply call the Thomas Cook cash passport hotline and reload my card over the phone. Or I could try. Apparently I had exceeded my 60 day telephone reload limit. But, it's ok for me to reload by popping down to the Guildford branch of Thomas Cook and sorting it in person. I'll get right on that. Eventually we agreed that someone could do this on my behalf. Thanks mum.

We have spent much of our additional Sydney time trying to sort out ongoing itinerary. A trip to Sydney's STA travel proved fruitless, and calling Jetstar airways themselves seemed to be working out until they decided that we were unqualified to rebook our own flights. We would have to ask our travel agents to do it. So we patiently waited for it to become daytime in the UK, and eventually received news of a flight booking.

Otherwise there has been some general wandering around. We did make the three hour journey to the Blue Mountains, but due to our slow start we only had 45 minutes there before the last bus was due to leave. Never mind, the view was lovely while it lasted. We then spent the evening in the centre of Sydney, where we were reunited with Rob's Italian friend Sara from Brisbane. It turned out to be a karaoke evening at the bar we went to, unfortunately one that was fast dying down before our electric performance of 'Wonderwall' revived the crowd and saw us joined on stage by four uninvited wannabees eager to share our moment in the spotlight. Then I was privileged to witness the world's most uncomfortable goodbye, Rob standing right in front of Sara and awkwardly waving for what seemed like hours before finally deciding it was time to walk away.

After a brief trip to the Sydney botanic gardens, where we were landed on by some cockatoos, we are now in New Zealand! Our flight to Christchurch was slightly delayed... We arrived around 2am. We did not have a hostel. With our bus pick up due at 8am, we thought we may as well go and wait at the pick up point. So what if it was only 5 degrees. I thought that maybe finding somewhere inside would be wise but Rob was determined that sleeping rough would raise our 'street cred' when we told people pn the bus. There was no dissuading him. It was a fairly uncomfortable experience that did not bring any sleep at all, although we did experience a small earthquake around 6. What fun.

Posted by tom_christmas 23:16 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint